Saturday, July 7, 2018

20171210

Probably from 2013 20171210 We were meeting with the missionaries of our Ward and they had a lesson activity for our family. It was a game where we chose the most important of two things, and narrowed down ultimately what was most important. We started off with things like TV and pizza, and end ended up with more serious and meaningful topics like income and health. We ended up with the last two being family and church, I think this was the point. As we went around and we all spoke what we thought was most important, we all chose family. The missionaries kept trying to correct our error saying that if we didn't choose the church first, ultimately we wouldn't have our family, but we all persisted. I was glad that we were all of one mind on this, we all may have had slightly different reasons for choosing family first, but I was glad my children and we made that statement. The missionaries couldn't get us to budge off of our stance, and I understood where they were coming from as I had been there as well on my mission. The mindset of 'all or nothing' as I used to apply it to so many areas of my life. I'm glad my children weren't making the same mistake that I had. Ultimately to me family is most important, and as yet we go through our lives as individuals, close family is like friends that we can trust and confidence in while we are 'working out our salvation'. We learn and grow from our children and parents alike, and as we become 'adults' I realize how much I still need to learn. If you had to choose in the same situation, what would you choose and why? Would your family (extended or immediate) be on board? I know some people may have different family situations, be estranged, grew up in abusive situations, or the many other things that a 'family' can represent, so I know I'm only looking at this from my own situation.

No comments: